On Jan 31, 2008 12:36 PM, Pallavi Apotikar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually, I have an excel sheet, where I am entering the data.
>
> I am reading the entered data in python.
>
> excel takes data as a string.
>
> before passing it to python, i wanted to check whether the entered
> data(value) is a valid python data type.
>
> so instead of checking this in python script(/ say program), I wanted to
> put macro in excel , so that all the values are checked at a stretch (or say
> while entering - before passing it to the python program.)
>
> So is it possible ?

Yes of course this is possible. Like you said, create a MACRO in excel. This
has nothing to do with python, it's an excel macro you want.

In the python script you could easily check the data/values and convert
them/(make sure they are valid) to whatever 'type' you need them to be,
within reason. (You can not create a flying spaghetti monster from a
datetime for example)

hth,

Graeme