Daniel Gonçalves wrote:
Larry Bates wrote:
Daniel Gonçalves wrote:
Hi!

I need to find the selected file(s) in a Windows Explorer window from
another program (I'd look at the window that last had focus).

<snip!>

Daniel,

What do you mean by "find the selected files".  Give us a little more
detail about your use case and we can help.

Hi!

What I'm trying to do is to have a program that detects whenever some file(s) are dragged over an area of the screen. Not dropped there, but dragged over it (close to the screen border, for instance). AFAIK, Windows only generates events whenever something is dropped, which will be useless here.

I will be using hooks to monitor mouse events and, when the mouse is over the defined region, I need to find out what is being dragged. A way to do estimate this might be to know that the currently focused window is an Explorer window, and query it for the selected items (they will be the ones being dragged). This is only an approximation but might be enough for my ends, if no better way is found.

Of course, if there is a way of just asking the OS "what is being dragged right now", that would work even better :)

Tks!
Daniel

One way of knowing about files that are selected is this:

If you selected several files and drag and drop them on a python program the files that are selected will be passed into the program in sys.argv. I don't know if that is what you are looking for or not.

-Larry

The reason for this is that a user can "changed their mind" before the drop. I sometimes do that and press escape to cancel the operation. wxWindows has some several functions that occur while the dragging is taking place and I "think" you can actually tell what is being dragged during the process.

-Larry