I haven't checked anything from wxWidgets and i don't intend to (yet).
I have found many functions that appear to help with dragging and dropping in
Windows, but practically no documentation to go with.
Piecing bits together from google, msdn, PyWin32 documentation, Python
Programming on Win32, has just left me confused and unsure about which is the
wright way.

RegisterDragDrop, aparently (from my understanding) registers a window to allow
dragging and dropping, first argument is a window id, the second argument is a
'dropTarget'
The documentation i have found follows:  (note how helpful it is)

RegisterDragDrop(hwnd, dropTarget)
Registers the specified window as one that can be the target of an OLE
drag-and-drop operation and specifies the PyIDropTarget instance to use for
drop operations.

Parameters

hwnd : long

dropTarget : PyIDropTarget
documentation for PyIDropTarget:
there is none.

I'm trying to create this 'dropTarget' and pass it to the RegisterDragDrop
function however, i can't do that, because it seems to want a COM object, and
my attempts at making a com object don't seem to be good enough for
RegisterDragDrop.

Thanks
Alex