niki wrote:
Tim Golden wrote:
The OP is running on a Simple Chinese edition of Windows XP,
and the error message, naturally, returns Simple Chinese
characters. But... it's apparent that the com_error info
structure returns not Unicode but byte stream. I *think*
I can decode into Unicode by using the sys.stdout.encoding,
but even if I'm right that's a fragile solution: running
under the SciTE editor, eg, sys.stdout.encoding is None.

3) Is there something more obvious which I've missed?

Yes use 'mbcs' codec :)

HTH

Niki Spahiev

Thank you so much. I knew there'd be something nice
and obvious which I'd overlooked.

TJG