Tim Roberts wrote:

>> sayeo87 wrote:
>>
>>> Right now on Windows I have added ".py" to my PATHEXT so that I can run
>>> .py
>>> files by doing ./<filename>.py. But when I do this the output of the
>>> program
>>> goes to a new command prompt window which instantly disappears. How can
>>> instead make the output go to the current command prompt window I'm
>>> working
>>> in, like in a linux terminal?
>>>
>>> Sorry if this has been answered before but I've googled high and low and
>>> still can't seem to find how to do this.
>>>

>> What PATHEXT lets you do is run the command without specifying a path at
>> all.
>
> I realized when I read my reply that I really did nothing to clear up
> any confusion.  Allow me to provide an example.
>
> Let's say I have c:\bin\remote.py, and client.py in the current
> directory.  WIthout the file associations for .py and .pyw, I can say:
>     python client.py
>     pythonw client.py
> If I set up file associations for .py and .py, then I can also say:
>     client.py
>     .\client.py
> Further, as long as "c:\bin" is in the path, I can also say:
>     remote.py
>
> When I add .PY and .PYW to PATHEXT, that also lets me say:
>     client
>     remote
>
> without the extension.  That's the sole purpose for PATHEXT.
>
> --
> Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Thanks for your reply, Tim. Regarding your earlier question about me not
using cmd when doing "./myFile.py", that was true - I was using PowerShell.
And I learned something about your explanation regarding PATHEXT. Turns out
I won't  need that in the forseeable future, as all I want to do is execute
.py files in the CURRENT directory, WITHOUT taking away the ".py" extension.
I guess that has something to say about trying random solutions one sees
online without actually finding out what they do =^D