That was my original attempt.  No luck with that either.  This sucker
has nine lives.

Thanks for your response.

Gary

From: python-win32-bounces+gary.scorby=harlandfs....@python.org
[mailto:python-win32-bounces+gary.scorby=harlandfs....@python.org] On
Behalf Of Greg Antal
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:59 PM
To: python-win32@python.org
Subject: Re: [python-win32] Releasing a Com object

Try
    del xxx

Even when you invoke whatever "stop" or "close" methods that object
offers, you sometimes still have to delete the object to make the
application shut down.

- Greg Antal

Gregory W. Antal
Senior Technical Advisor
ATA Engineering, Inc.
11995 El Camino Real, Suite 200
San Diego, CA  92130
www.ata-e.com

greg.an...@ata-e.com
858-480-2072  (Phone)
858-792-8932  (Fax)

bob gailer wrote, On 1/20/2009 11:27 AM:

Gary Scorby wrote:

You are correct, it no longer refers to the object.  I should have added
a few more details.  Windows still believes the object is in use, in
this case it's a dll.  Nothing else can be done with the dll until
Python is completely shut down.  None of the other dll com objects I
have used in the past have had this problem.

Excel behaves that way also. One must explicitly tell Excel to quit, as
in excelObj.quit(). Does your dll have an equivalent?

Or take a look at psTools for ways to kill processes.

--
Bob Gailer
Chapel Hill NC