Eric Blade wrote:
This is kind of a weird question - I have a process that has two
windows with the exact same name.  I need to figure out some way to
differentiate between the two windows - what functions are there
available that I can call to find out information about the two
windows, so that I might be able to figure out exactly which one it is
that my application needs to work with?  Sorry about the vagueness of
the question, but I just really don't have even the slightest idea
about how to find out what it is that i want to know...

I doubt if I can give you an answer, but I might be able to narrow down the question so that either you or someone else on the list might be able to solve it.

There are at least three scenarios you could be describing.

1) You're writing a program (using tkinter, or wxPython, or ... gui tools), and you've created two windows that need the same name. And from the same program you want to manipulate widgets/controls within one of those windows. but can't just use the window name. If this is the case, there are lots of answers, but they're all dependent on the particular GUI you're using.

2) You're running a 3rd party application that uses the same name for more than one window, and you (the person at the keyboard) want to be able to tell things about them. In this case, a program like SPY+ might just help.

3) You're running a 3rd party app as above, but you're writing a Python program that needs to interact with it, perhaps by injecting messages into its process. In this case, you need to find some other property of each of the two windows that lets you distinguish them. If so, you need to say so, and somebody (other than I) could help you find such information.

DaveA