My (casual) use of python within Excel has been to register COM servers in
Python and get a handle to a local server out-of-process instance via
CreateObject in Auto_Open. This works fine for me as I have a local admin
account with access to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

I would like Excel users to access functionality implemented in Python by
calling functions/subs which are VBA wrappers around invocations on the COM
server. Having pythoncom take care of the marshalling is preferable to the
'eval' interface offered by MSScriptControl.ScriptControl. I would love some
mechanism whereby the Excel VBA code could -- on startup -- create an inprocess
COM server implemented in Python.

Is this possible?

pjjH