"Tim Golden" <m...@timgolden.me.uk> wrote in message
news:4d78b66d.9080...@timgolden.me.uk...
> On 10/03/2011 11:29, Tim Golden wrote:
>> On 09/03/2011 16:40, Graham Bloice wrote:
>>> The dll adsi.pyd is missing from the 216 build for Python 3.2. I've
>>> checked both the 32 and 64 bit variants and it's missing from both.
>>
>> Roger Upole can obviously speak for himself, but in a email
>> conversation I had with him a while back, he said that they hadn't
>> been able to build it because of an issue with the version
>> of SWIG they were using (or something). IOW, even if you were
>> to build pywin32 yourself, it still won't be there: it's not just
>> a distribution issue.
>
> And, to clarify, I mean that it couldn't be built under Python 3.x;
> ie adsi should be present in all Python 2.x builds and won't be
> present in any python 3.x build.
>
> TJG

That sums it up pretty well.

Here's the longer version:
The SWIG in Pywin32 had been customised to accomodate
COM objects that inherit from another interface.  Somewhere
along the line, the source code has been lost, so when I ported
SWIG to Python 3, I had to start from a clean source tree.

It should be possible to reverse engineer the custom code from
the output generated for Python 2, but nobody's had time to
do so yet.

     Roger