Thanks for answering anyway ..

> On 25/05/2011 8:11 PM, Tobias Oberstein wrote:
>
> > How can I call on the interface not via IDispatch, but using vtable-based
> direct call?
>
> You can't I'm afraid.

The reason I was asking is, that after some Googling, the best hint regarding
the problem I came up with is:

"Apparently in Excel 12 (Excel 2007) the RTD callback object that implements
dual IRTDUpdateEvent interface throws exception (generic COM exception
0x80020009) when is called via IDispatch.
If you use v-table binding the call to UpdateNotify succeeds. I don?t really
know whether it is a bug in Excel 12 or a feature."

http://www.nevaobject.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=516

Anyway, due to time constraints I moved on to C# and ExcelDNA to implement my
stuff. Originally, I wanted to prototype in PyWin32 ... which is absolutely
great nevertheless!

cheers,
Tobias