I think you'll have to get into the guts of the Document object to do things
like that.  Here's the official Word 2007 object model documentation. Any
tutorials or examples you can find that use other languages like C# or
VB.NET would be relevant, you just have to translate them a bit to Python.
 The underlying Document API is the same across languages.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb243297(v=office.12).aspx