Hi all,

I'm working on a Tkinter app that is being deployed to Windows via py2exe
for wrapping and InnoSetup for its installer. In order to provide a similar
scripting capability to the app that is present in its Mac version, I've
made the app a COM server using the examples from python-win32 code base.

I am running into two issues with the app that I would like some
clarification on:

1. What is the best way to register the exe as a COM server? I'm using the
code from the python-win32 extension to register the code dynamically, but
on Windows 7 this requires administrator privileges--which means that the
entire app must be run as an administrator (via a flag in py2exe). This
works, but seems overkill. I understand from the list archives that there is
no current built-in way to escalate UAC privileges for a single function,
cf. to register the server. Is there another way to register the wrapped exe
as a server, i.e. from the command line (regsvr32) during the installation
phase?

2. I am testing the app via a simple vbscript with a create object() call
and then running the command exported by the COM server. While my app
launches, it blocks forever, and then eventually the Windows Scripting Host
times out with an error ("couldn't create ActiveX object"). Any suggestions
on how to debug this? I can find no obvious error in my code and the app
does start up successfully, which tells me it's registered, but for some
reason it locks up before it can run its command. (The app does pop up a
dialog on startup, I don't know if that would have any effect or not.)

Thanks,
Kevin