On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Michael Manfre <mman...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The observed behavior is equivalent to this bit of SQL.
>
> DECLARE @retval int, @someOut int
>> exec @retval = uspReturnsAResultSetOrTwo @someOut OUTPUT
>> SELECT @retval, @someOut
>>

> I haven't been able to find any documentation stating that this is the
> intended behavior and this doesn't match my experience of using stored
> procedures with ADO.NET. Is this expected behavior? Is there some
> combination of cursor types or attributes to get the output parameter
> values without fetching/skipping all the recordsets?

This is the behaviour of the Microsoft's ADO library which is the
underlying api that adodbapi works against. It is pretty hard to find docs
for ADO because ADO.NET sucks up all the hits and Microsoft's own MSDN docs
for ADO are pretty weak. Also, that is fundamentally the pattern you would
use with ODBC too which does not have any particular notion of Stored
Proceedures. ADO is based on ODBC connections so that may be the source of
this particular behind the scenes idiom.

-Chris

--
Christopher Lambacher
ch...@kateandchris.net