On 29/10/2012 14:12, Gerard Blais wrote:
I seem to be missing an executable:

C:\Temp\pywin32-218>setup install
Building pywin32 2.7.218.0
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
Found version 0x600 in C:\Program Files\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\include\SDKDDKVER.H
building 'perfmondata' extension
mc.exe -h win32\src\perfmon -r
build\temp.win32-2.7\Release\win32\src\perfmon
win32\src\perfmon\PyPerfMsgs.mc
error: command 'mc.exe' failed: No such file or directory

Any ideas?  I found a site (http://www.filecrop.com/77798596/index.html)
which points to  http://mediafire.com/?1wyyjmz43nq that purported to have a
downloadable mc.exe, but Microsoft Security Essentials apparently deletes
it immediately.

mc.exe is the Message Compiler:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa385638%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

which is used to compile messages for the EventLogs.

I appear to have it installed somewhere as I've just built the current hg tip of pywin32 against Python 2.7. It's certainly part of the Windows SDK. It doesn't appear (at a glance) to be part of the Visual Studio toolset.

Did you particularly want to build your own pywin32? Otherwise, just grab one of the binaries from the sourceforge files page.

TJG