Sorry, this should have gone to the list!

Sibylle

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: [python-win32] Python 3.4: adodbapi.connect(..) crashes
Datum: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 20:39:43 +0100
Von: Sibylle Koczian <nulla.epist...@web.de>
An: Vernon D. Cole <vernondc...@gmail.com>

Am 21.03.2014 09:35, schrieb Vernon D. Cole:
Argh!  I personally had not gotten around to trying Python 3.4 yet.  The
pythoncom package is widely used and I can't imagine that the lack of it
got past our normal QA tests. I will check on this as soon as I get off
work.

  In the meantime, you should be able to have many versions of python
loaded in parallel on your machine (I have around 7, usually) so you can
reload 3.3 and use the /Python Launcher for Windows/ to switch between
versions. Use...

    py -3 myprogram.py  # runs the highest numbered Python 3

or...

    py -3.3 myprogram.py  # runs version 3.3

Did that, but now it gets crazy. I installed Python 3.3.5 and, first,
pywin32-217.win-amd64-py3.3.exe (fresh from the download page), because
that was the version I had before. First I got this message at the end
of the installation:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 612, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 322, in install
  File "<string>", line 160, in LoadSystemModule
  File "C:\Python33\lib\imp.py", line 186, in load_module
    return load_dynamic(name, filename, opened_file)
ImportError: DLL load failed: Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
(The specified module could not be found.)

I've used pywin32 for years and never got such a message.

Using Python 3.3 I could import adodbapi in spite of this, but trying to
connect to an Access database I got exactly the same exception as before
with Python 3.4 and build 218.

So this begins to look like something local to my PC, but what can it
be? Last week this worked. Moreover I tried to install the windows
extensions on another machine running Windows 8.1, Python 3.3.3, and got
the same error message at installation.

Sadly, using something reasonable in place of Access is no option in
this case, it's not my database.

Regards
Sibylle