On 31/03/2014 5:16 PM, Peter Fraser wrote:
Hello Pywinonauts

Pythonwin  (pywin32 build218 python 2.7.6) is hanging after I edit the
tools menu (or rather; whenever I go to the "Tools menu" tab of
"PythonWin Options" and hit OK  -I don't need to actually edit anything
to provoke the problem)

It seems that ToolMenuPropPage.OnOK gets into an endless loop   -because
it expects self.listControl.GetItemText(itemLook, 0) to raise
win32ui.error when it runs out of items  *but* GetItemText is happily
returning zero length strings in this case.

As a workaround I have added...

if not self.listControl.GetItemText(itemLook, 0):break

..to toolmenu.py above the line...

items.append( ( self.listControl.GetItemText(itemLook, 0),
self.listControl.GetItemText(itemLook, 1) ) )

An older PythonWin (pywin32 build214 python 2.6.6) does not have the
problem  -but I wonder if the difference that makes a difference is
particular to my machine. I tried deleting everything under under
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Python 2.7\Python for Win32\Tools Menu"  but
it made no difference.

Is it just my machine (surely everyone else in the world can edit the
tools menu ok)?

Am I missing something about GetItemText perhaps?

heh - you are correct - that hangs for me too. I can't see why this would have changed, so I just implemented your fix. It will be in the next pywin32 build.

Thanks!