On 5/11/2014 2:39 PM, Jacob Kruger wrote:
> I have thus far been working with python 2.7, for no particular reason aside
> from that it's been stable/comfortable/usable from when I really got going
> with python, but, while think latest release version of python is something
> like 3.4, what are the reasons, if any, for sticking to/with the older
> version for a while longer?
>
> Cross platform compatibility? Code updates it will require if moving older
> code over to newer interpreter, etc.?

Kind of off topic, but what the heck, I'm bored today.  :)

Typically, it's dependencies and the cost of the effort to address them.
Python 3.x literally made language changes that have the potential to break
existing 2.7.x scripts, and I'd imagine the 2.7.x line still has a huge amount
of production dependency (I know it does for us).  You can spend the time
retooling your product, and introduce the one-way upgrade in a new release,
but that trickles down to your customers, forcing them to spend time updating
any collection of Python tools they themselves may have created.

Personally, I've not seen anything in Python 3.x that is sexy enough to make
me want to put forth the effort.  I have yet to run into something I cannot
accomplish using 2.7.x that 3.x makes possible (which is likely another reason
that the transition is so slow).