Kapil Dolas wrote:

> I am using pywin32's mapi module to read data from PSTs. I have shared
> my program which reads email and attachment datahere
> <http://pastebin.com/2AXy3BVH> (http://pastebin.com/2AXy3BVH).
> Currently, program is not storing any of the read data. But, still I
> can see gradual increase in memory usage when I run the program over
> large PST. That PST contains around 9000 emails and it has 9 GB of
> data. Max size of email is 24 MB only. For this PST, program's initial
> memory usage is about 10 MB, but it gradually increases and reaches to
> 40-45 MB. I don't know why this memory usage increases up to this
> value. I have tried using pympler to find the root cause, but without
> any success. It appears that memory increase is not due to python
> objects. Can you point out the reason behind (gradual) increase in
> memory usage? Is it due to the memory leak in pywin32, or any mistakes
> in my program?

MAPI is the poor neglected stepchild in the Windows world.  It is
functional, but it has received relatively little optimization
attention.  My guess is you're just seeing memory being used by MAPI
itself, perhaps building an index of your mammoth PST.

For what it's worth, 45 MB is nothing.  Thunderbird balloons to 400MB on
my machine.