On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 8:07 AM, Vernon D. Cole <vernondc...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Pywin32 is mostly written in C, and has lots of dependencies and weird
> build requirements.  In order to compile it, you must have the same C
> compiler that your release of Python was built with. For older Python
> versions (like 2.7) that compiler is obsolete and hard to find, so installs
> from source are pretty nearly impossible.

Microsoft provides a compiler package for Python 2.7 specifically for
creating binary wheels (and other binary distros):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44266

>   Would a binary wheel be able to do all of the crazy set up that the
> Windows installer does?

No it wouldn't, but a lot of the postinstall stuff isn't necessary for many
uses of pywin32.  It's probably still worthwhile to package it as a wheel
for those use cases.

At least it's useful enough that there's an alternate distribution called
"pypiwin32":
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pypiwin32

> The project is open source, and patches are happily accepted.

According to the bug I referenced above, the only thing necessary to get
most functionality working is a tweak to the path files.

Also according to the same bug, it looks as though those involved couldn't
figure out where to send patches.  Where should patches/contributions be
sent in order to get the attention of those who can merge them?

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 11:39 PM, Kevin Horn <kevin.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> check out this bug:
>> http://sourceforge.net/p/pywin32/bugs/669/
>>
>> There's been some interest, but the pywin32 developers themselves don't
>> seem to have gotten involved.
>>
>> I'm not sure why.  It would be really nice to have pywin32 be
>> pip-installable.
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 4:23 AM, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone successfully pip installed the pywin32 package? I'm having
>>> some trouble with it at the moment. In theory, it should be easier to
>>> instruct people to "type pip install pywin32" than "go to the
>>> sourceforge download page, pick the right installer, and run it"; but
>>> the installer is currently failing.
>>>
>>> Full log is available if people want it, but what I'm seeing in it is
>>> a number of lines like:
>>>
>>> Analyzing links from page
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/files/pywin32/
>>>
>>> It never gets to the point of searching the build-specific pages, eg:
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/files/pywin32/Build%20219/
>>>
>>> Is there a way to tell pip how to find the file?
>>>
>>> All advice gratefully received!
>>>
>>> ChrisA
>>>

>> --
>> --