https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1M-TzfRaSaAhFXQk1OmcmHNOaW31_7W_7q0bf8CAJqSw/edit
Set with some help for a friend of mine, I was able to implement the system illustrated above. As a result I can mostly successfully use speech recognition on Windows to dictate text into a variety of Linux applications. I discover some problems which make me think that the right solution is to capture windows events/key codes and translate them into the lyrics equivalents. This way I think I can handle many of the special function keys more easily.

My question is two parts, first is how do I get access to these key codes (equivalent to what's in the Python uinput module). And what kind of framework does Windows demand (text window etc.) in order to be able to expose these key codes.

I thought this should be a question Google can answer but I haven't found the right question.

Thanks for any help or pointers
--- eric