On Tue 2015-12-15 (16:39), Random832 wrote:

> > The Windows console shell is an 8-bit entity.
>
> That's not true. Well, it's only true A) of programs that use
> 8-bit I/O instead of Unicode (which unfortunately happens to
> include Python

Ok, then this is a dead end for me?

> The limitation is the keyboard layout, not the codepage. Even
> for pasted (or dropped) text, it will synthesize keyboard events
> it can handle if a key exists for the character... otherwise, it
> simulates alt-NNNN events that getwch cannot handle. If you
> choose, for example, a Greek keyboard layout, even Latin letters
> (definitely ASCII characters) can't be pasted to a getwch loop.

Even worse!

Ok, then my program will offer drag&drop only as an option for ASCII
filenames and the default file selection will be Tk askopenfilename() and
askdirectory(). The bad thing is, the user has to decide first, whether he
wants to select a file or a directory. There seems to be no Tk widget for
selecting files AND directories.

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum IZUS/TIK         E-Mail: horlac...@tik.uni-stuttgart.de