Tim Roberts wrote:
On Aug 9, 2016, at 2:21 AM, Gertjan Klein <gkl...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

Thanks! That helps. As far as I can tell, py2exe is the only executable
builder that can create a COM server DLL, so I'm trying to find out how
to request it to do so. There is an example here:

http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/Py2exeAndWin32com

However, this talks about modules and packages; I have one single file.
Could you (or anyone) steer me in the right direction?

Well, your source code might only be one file, but you're using many modules
from the standard library (win32com and os, if nothing else).  Those, and the
modules they all need, all have to be included.

Have you actually tried the examples on the pages you quoted?

Again I seem to fail to convey what went wrong... Yes, I have (obviously) tried that, in various combinations. Apparently, what I entered for the various parameters is not what I should enter there.

The "modules and packages" I mentioned are those in the example code, and refer to my source code -- somewhere I have to enter what I want converted to a DLL. I don't know how to do that. Specifically, for my one-file program:

- In my_com_server_target, what to enter for modules
- In the call to setup, what to enter for packages

What happens for everything I tried is:

running py2exe
running build_py

  1 missing Modules
? readline                            imported from cmd, code, pdb

Readline missing is expected on Windows. I see code on the 'net with that same message where setup continues to "creating build", so apparently this is indeed not a fatal error.

After this, an empty dist directory and and a build\lib directory with ctmx.py is created. That's it. No DLL.

I get the impression that what I'm after is blindingly obvious for those that know how to do it. It is not to me; please accept that I tried to the best of my abilities before posting here.

Regards,
Gertjan.