On Dec 4, 2016, at 9:17 AM, Doug Sharkey <douglas.shar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Appreciate the response. Although it has a .P extension it's actually an
> Excel spreadsheet (xlsx format). Business rules require the name format.

How does that make any sense at all?  If you double-click on that file name,
the system isn't going to know that it's supposed to bring up Excel.  Excel
only registers its well-known extensions.  If you email that file to someone
else, they won't know how to open it either.

> I could rename it but I suspect the name isn't the issue since this code
> works fine on my 2008 laptop with the .P file. I'll try renaming it just to
> be sure.

Is it possible your 2008 laptop had had the registry changes necessary to
associate .P files with Excel, but your current laptop does not?
—