Vielen dank Waldemar.

I echo your sentiments about Christoph's wonderful site - it has been a life saver for me on several occasions, and I had not thought to look there yet.

I have also poked around a bit between conf calls this morning and have just discovered that I had a pythonpath problem in terms of loading it at all, so I can now load it and the sqlsever module I am using seems happy with it - no weird crashes as yet from architectural incompatibilities.

It is slightly premature in terms of testing but at first blush I think that the problem may therefore be that the sourceforge x64 installer has x64 code in it but is just looking for the wrong registry entry. Lack of ability to put the path in yourself once it has failed to find it in the registry exacerbates the problem.

I ran it elevated and even though it reported success it did not put the toolkit onto my pythonnpath so there may also be another loose end there. I will try your suggestion about explicitly running the post install script, Waldemar, but it is also very possible this is normally an exercise for the reader anyway.

Thanks again.

regards
Rick