On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Kurt Eilander <web...@totalrewind.com> wrote:
> Ok, I found scintilla.dll in the directory above scintillacon.py, but it
> came with pywin32, so it *should* be the correct one.
> DLL inspector says it's a 64-bit, which is correct for my os.
>
> I copy that dll, and indeed, all binaries in that directory (just to be
> sure) into my program directory and it still does not work!

Try importing win32api in the same context. If that fails, check PATH
for pywintypesXY.dll:

    where pywintypes*.dll

> I have no idea what could be wrong.  Oh!  To know what that little %1 means!

System error message include inserts such as %1 for when errors and
exceptions are shown by the system itself. All Python has in this case
is the error code, ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT. So when it calls
FormatMessage, it uses the flag FORMAT_MESSAGE_IGNORE_INSERTS, as it
should.