The documentation I've found, including Mark's book, advises that I should
register COM servers with --debug and use the Trace Collector Debugging Tool on
the PythonWin Tools Menu.

I can run IDLE, but it has no Tools menu or anything that looks relevant.  So I
think something else is intended. I can also launch a shell running python, but
it has no menus.  Additionally, I don't have access to any of the docs from the
Windows start menu except for the ability to browse any module interface,
though the files are on my computer.

So I think my installation is missing some pieces.  I installed the standard
Windows version of Python from python.org and used pip to install pywin32.
There are a number of different pythons installed on the system.

Searching suggested the invoked tool was win32traceutil.py; I tried to launch
it, but it failed because it had a Python 2 print statement.  TraceCollector.py
says it is a win32traceutil like utility, so I tried that:
C:\Users\rdboylan\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python37\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\tools>py
 TraceCollector.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "TraceCollector.py", line 66, in <module>
    MakeOutputWindow()
  File "TraceCollector.py", line 54, in MakeOutputWindow
    outputWindow = WindowOutput(title, title)
  File "TraceCollector.py", line 31, in __init__
    winout.WindowOutput.__init__(*(self,)+args)
  File
"C:\Users\rdboylan\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python37\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\winout.py",
 line 332, in __init__
    self.SetIdleHandler()
  File
"C:\Users\rdboylan\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python37\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\winout.py",
 line 373, in SetIdleHandler
    win32ui.GetApp().AddIdleHandler(self.QueueIdleHandler)
AttributeError: 'PyCWinApp' object has no attribute 'AddIdleHandler'

That python3.7 is 32 bit, like the COM server I'm trying to debug.  Running on
64 bit Win7.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Ross