On Feb 17, 2021, at 6:07 AM, Nick Orr <nick.p.orr.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been developing a Python tool to ingest and write all emails from a PST
> exported from Outlook to individual .html files. The issue is that when
> opening the PST in outlook and checking the source information for emails
> individually, it includes this specific line:

> which IS NOT being included when importing the PST with Pywin32 and reading
> all the emails in the PST. To see what it looks like in a chunk -

What you HAVEN’T said here is how you are talking to Outlook — how you
generated your “outlook” object.  PyWin32 doesn’t have any code that is
Outlook-specific.  I assume you’re using win32com.client.Dispatch.  If so,
remember that Python isn’t doing any processing here.  It’s just passing
requests through COM to Outlook.  If your text is coming back oddly, then
Outlook is returning it oddly.

absorbing the <meta> tag because it isn’t useful.  Maybe it has copied the
charset to a property of the message object to reflect the character set.  That
is, perhaps there’s something in the “item” object that gets tweaked.

> Because the emails otherwise are identical, I can only assume this is being
> done by the library. I'm wondering if there's a reason that meta tag is
> excluded, or if it's a bug in PyWin32?

No, it’s not being done by PyWin32.  It’s being done by Outlook.  You’d get the
same result if you called this method from C#.
—