As best I remember, Microsoft considers the programming of Mail tasks (and most
Outlook automation) as a security risk/issue, and limits your access to certain
parts because so many people (malware writers) wrote stuff to programmatically
abuse Outlook for unsavory (Evil?!?) purposes.

However, fear not...  I have successfully and programmatically used something
called Outlook Redemption to unlock these secured areas of Outlook when I have
needed to do something Microsoft didn't allow you to programmatically perform
in the past (I'm not the author of the software nor do I get a commission for
referring people to it).  I don't think I even have that software loaded
anymore.

https://www.dimastr.com/redemption/home.htm

There is a "developer version" usable for free, but it is a saleable product.
Read the license, use it at your own risk (since ultimately Microsoft locked
certain aspects of Outlook off for a reason - and loading this product would in
essence bypass those restrictions).  The author of Redemption has great KB
articles and examples, but most of my programming with this product was in
VBScript, so I'm not going to be able to share examples in Python.  A lot of
what I was doing with the module was reading messages out to files or querying
particular MAPI attributes for use with a Microsoft Exchange-based SpamAssassin
filter - or - Monitor a mailbox for incoming emails and perform some task with
the messages in a separate system (provided the message met certain criteria).
The product has also been on the market for 10+ years, so it's a very mature
product (NOT like a 1.0 or 0.9 version).

HTH

Steven