Go to www.zoozla.com.

It's a media uploader I've developed for my own startup. It's not public
yet, but drop your email there and you should get a download link shortly.
It shows you what you can do with Python and wxPython in terms of GUI and
web automation.

I found Python lacking in two main aspects. When your project grows beyond a
certain size, you begin to feel the need for more clear-cut boundaries
between modules and layers which is usually accomplished with interfaces.
Python has no built-in facilities for that and although there are several
libraries that do that, you should really know what you are doing. It may
become a serious problem if a large  team (more than 3 developers) is
working on your project. The other problem that I encountered is the lack of
a decent profiler for performance tuning. There are libraries to do that
too, but they don't seem to take into account the time spent in C modules
which makes them pretty much useless for wxPython work.

If you don't need cross platform support and your platform is Windows, I'd
probably try to stick to .NET as it is becoming the native API for Windows.
There's a cool language called Boo (http://boo.codehaus.org/) that has
Python like syntax, compiles to pure (and presumably quick) MSIL and has
complete access to all the .NET libraries. I has some of the nice features
that make things productive for Python and I think it might be worth a look.