you can use the isolate selected feature in the perspective view to acheive
this.Show > Isolate Select > View Selected

You can easily create a hotkey to toggle isolate selection... I always map
this command to the i key...very usefull.

--
"A pit would not be complete without a Freeman coming out of it."
The Vortigaunt

http://groups.google.com/group/python_inside_maya