We run fully a referenced animation pipeline and all connections /
animations go via the characterSet.... it does need a little babysitting
though.

It also depends what version of Maya you tried with chSets. With each
release more of the killer bugs get squashed, 2011 has a few specifics in
the way the sets are handled and reconnected with referencing. In theory the
sets actually make it easier and more flexible for rigging as nothing is
name based, unlike normal referencing. All the connections and refEdits go
via a placeholder list which is generated from the initial order of the
characterSet, broken down into linearValues, angularValuese and
unitlessValue lists. The key to it all is maintaining these list orders,
referencing just connects animcurveTL to linearValues[122] etc.

Right at the start of our pipeline we wrote a characterSet saver, which
enables the riggers to always force the orders of the set to be consistent,
after that everything is relatively safe. We get a few failed files from
time to time, but most of them we can recover, and it's normally as a result
of an updated source rig with a duff chSet order in the first place. Some of
the GoldenEye cutscenes are huge, 5000frms, all dense MoCap data, 10-15 full
rigs + props and all referenced. If you can tame it, it's a great production
time saver.

I do have to say that the initial love that the guys had for AnimLayers has
disappeared, and all of a sudden they're running back to Trax due to bugs in
the way the layers are handled.... and the lack of decent methods to remove
the damn things once made!

Mark