I was a bit confused about what you wanted to do. to get all meshes or just
the top level meshes.
here is some pymel examples you can sift through pretty easily in a single
line for either

import pymel.core as pm

# GET ALL MESHES IN A SCENE

allMeshes = [x.getParent() for x in pm.ls(type="mesh")]

# GET ONLY TOP LEVEL MESHES

topMostMeshes = [top for top in       [x.getParent() for x in
pm.ls(type="mesh")
]      if not top.getParent()]

hope this helps