Hi everyone.

After experimenting more I think I'm getting more predicable result now. A
couple things I had done at home.

- playblast out as PNG sequence. FFmpeg reads jpg sequence much faster with
less CPU, but for some reason it always get the aspect ratio of jpg wrong.
- force resolution to be divisible by 16.

Will have to test it at studio. A couple notes about codecs

MJPEG - very fast to scrub through in quicktime even at full HD. Although
it's quite larger than h.264. -q:v is the compression. 0 = no compression,
25 max.

working command = ffmpeg -y -i d:\temp\test.%4d.png -r 30 -vcodec mjpeg
-pix_fmt yuv420p -q:v 10 -f mov -an mjpegQV10.mov

H 264 - A little slower to scrub timeline but file size is much smaller.
Needs to keep bframe low to help with timeline scrubbing. Eventually I just
disabled it (-bf 0). crf seems to be the quality, if set higher than 25 the
result gets splotchy.

working command = ffmpeg -y -i d:\temp\test.%4d.png -r 30 -vcodec libx264
-vprofile baseline -crf 22 -pix_fmt yuv420p -bf 0 fromPng.mov

best regard,
P Chong.