Was looking up on this too, and found some more discussion about it here
(albeit from 2008).
http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-630763.html

If I'm understanding your needs correctly, Mark, you're looking to
uniquely, and immutably identify nodes in Maya? I'd like for this too, but
it seems things haven't changed about this since that CGTalk thread, does
anyone have any more info on this?

Adding an attribute is one way, but it eliminates the possibility of
building for a generic Maya scene, as opposed to one that has been built
with the tool in mind so that nodes can have been given UIDs in the first
place.
​