I've had good luck with it for simple tasks like updating GUIs.

I also use it as part of my startup sequence for any tasks that need to
build/tweak/change maya's default GUIs, because not enough of the maya
environment is loaded during userSetup.py's execution. But if you defer
those tasks, the idle queue won't be processed until after maya is done