No problem, Justin, it’s not terribly obvious that it’s using pywin32 as it
isn’t showing up in the imports; it looks like it’s got quite a few
different names, all prefixed win32.

A ctypes approach seems reasonable. Haven’t considered it beyond a few
non-working examples, but I bet it must be able to deal with Job objects
too.

Other than that, there is one detail about my requirements which might
enable another method or achieving what I want; which is that the child is
just another Python interpreter under my control. So what I could do is
pass the pid of the parent to the child and have it *poll* every n-seconds
for whether the parent is still running. If not, clean-up and self-destruct.

Though polling a process for activity seems a challenge on it’s own.. (on
Windows, that is. Sigh)
​