Are you sure that the import isn't failing, in your userSetup.py ? Does it
depend on any facilities that may not yet be initialized at the time
userSetup.py is being executed? If it is something that depends on Maya's
UI being fully established, you could import it deferred:

cmds.evalDeferred("import riggingTools as rt")