here are two more ways to add to the ways listed here.

import pymel.core as pm
# pm.selected returns a list of selected itemsfor x in pm.selected():

    # if you can get a shape node continue
    if x.getShape():

        # if the shapenode type is mesh then the test is good
        if x.getShape().nodeType() == 'mesh':
            print("Yep {0} is indeed a polygon mesh".format(x))
# returning only a list of meshes selected. # same as above but uses a
fancy pants list comprehension
justMeshes = [y for y in [ x for x in pm.selected() if x.getShape()]
if y.getShape().nodeType() == 'mesh']

​