Also - standard prints actually DO get displayed in the command line
output... but ONLY if you don't include a trailing newline. So to get stuff
to show up to the right, all you need to do is:

print "This will show up!",

(note the trailing comma!)

Of course, this means that results in the script editor window will tend to
get jammed together on the same line... so I will often use
MGlobal.displayInfo/displayWarning/displayError.  These have the added
advantage that they will have fancy color-coding for warning/error:

import maya.OpenMaya as om
om.MGlobal.displayWarning("Oh noes! You haz dun rong!")

One feline, numerous flensing methods...