> @alok
> I guess I could have made the default base use the pattern that likage had
> specified, but I was really just making it generic and then the usage of it
> could specify that custom format. Maybe my docstrings clarified the usage
> though?
>
> Justin
>
> It sure did. I would still maintain that in this particular case having a
format code laid out in the default arguments definitely improves
readability. Default arguments bound to get most focus, more than
docstrings in case of functions/methods that are sometimes for no-good
reason considered trivial. In my personal opinion, nothing is trivial in
code, if it is don't write it.

Of course, ideally, whenever there is a docstring, it is for a reason and
meant to be READ and should be READ. Another point is most IDEs (and some
text editors as well), auto-fill the default arguments as a part of
code-completion feature, thereby increasing the importance of well-formed,
informative and aptly named defaults.