> Also I would like to throw my 2 cents in as someone that develops not as
> one that writes scripts and tools on a per-show basis to get shots finaled,
> but as one that works on longer term projects to serve the ongoing
> pipeline. The advise from that conference might be more applicable to
> situations like that, where a shot-delivery time frame is not the case. It
> really just depends on whether your deliverable is a shot, or software.

I agree, I am also employed as a Pipeline Engineer and do not have the
pressing need to script  for a single shot but rather develop Pipeline
Tools and APIs that are consumed by various departments. I can totally
understand where you are coming from and it makes complete sense. I started
out as an artist (animator, rigger, and generalist) and then a TD and
gradually segway into Pipeline. During this journey, I clearly saw my
development focus shift from 'just make it work' to 'make it beautiful and
readable'.