> Please provide a small reproduction of the problem via pastebin or gist.
> After Roberts suggestion to correct a naming issue, I can't see anything
> else wrong in your small snippets of code.

I agree, a repro would help. Also, I do not see a call to pushButton() in
your create_window(), it is just defined there. Maybe you are calling it
somewhere but we do not see that in your example code. Of course, you would
have to call it within the scope of create_window().

Another very minorish comment would be your use mixed 'snake case'
(create_window()) and 'lower camel case' (pushButton()) in function
signatures. It is recommend to use a uniform naming convention. So either
use create_window() with push_button() or use createWindow() with
pushButton()

Also, a few points about your use of the term closure -
What you have is simply a nested function. On the other hand, a CLOSURE is
a function object that remembers values in enclosing scopes regardless of
whether those scopes are still present in memory. You can find more about
them here
<http://www.shutupandship.com/2012/01/python-closures-explained.html>