I have an old script that assigns vertex colors to a mesh, based on the
vert's position (can be used to create worldspace gradients - useful for
world position offset vertex animation in real-time applications).  Anyway,
I'm working on re-writing this tool using the python API to hopefully make
it quicker on dense meshes.  This is my first time really trying to use the
api, so I'm kind of stumbling my way through it.  I've found a way to get
the point positions and a list of vertex IDs on a given mesh.  However,
those two lists don't correspond to each other so when I run the below
code, it doesn't assign the right vert colors to the correct mesh.  Is
there some way I can make the two lists, or two sets of information match
together to fix this issue? (Note: Currently I'm just trying to create a Y
gradient which is why I am just getting 2nd value for each point).

https://pastebin.com/s3fGRPNG