As already pointed out above, there is no reliable way other than compiling
(using cython), to protect your source code.

Here's a crazy idea, and I am just thinking aloud so this might sound
stupid -

   - Why not encrypt all your python code as plain text files.
   - The source files can be decrypted only with a key.
   - Write a layer between the client and the source code that does the
   decryption using the key. This layer can be conveniently compiled once
   using cython.
   - The client code loads the libraries dynamically using the encryption
   layer.
   - Any updates to the library source code can be done by writing the
   source code in python and decrypting it using the decryption layer.

This does not solve the problem entirely but simplifies it to a certain
extent.

You have to secure one and one only thing -
The encryption-decryption source code.

The encrypt-decrypt layer is to be designed in such a way that it can not
run outside the studio of the environment. There are many ways to do this
using the mac-addresses etc. This could even be written in C/C++

Again, just as a huge caveat - This is not a well-thought approach, it just
occurred to me and instead of making notes somewhere else I am writing it
in the mail.