I figured it out in the end, I was not aware that I had to set my computer
up as a slave and have Jenkins run the process on the slave. The process
was actually running before but it was silent in the background. I set it
up and Maya and Notepad etc. now boot correctly in the foreground

That took me a while to figure out and there were some options that were
not default enabled that I needed, I am going to write this one up I think.
Help out the next guy who has that issue.

- Ben