This to me looks like the Cython distributed via pip was compiled for a
different version of Python than the one shipping with Maya. I think the
reason you see the error in the terminal is because the command you ran
makes use of the compiled component of Cython, whereas the import you made
in Maya does not.

I suspect you'll need to do what any compiled library requires, which is to
compile it yourself using the mayapy.