Problem number 1, where does hlay come from? It isn’t defined anywhere in
that snippet.

hlay.addWidget(self.add_button)

Problem number 2, adding the widget with the layer to the layout? This line
should probably be removed..

hlay.addWidget(self)

And replaced with:

hlay = QtGui.QHBoxLayout(self)

Unless the tab bar already had a layout you could/should use.

hlay = self.layout()

Just double-check it’s the right kind of layout, e.g. a QHBoxLayout.