I was about to answer but then Justin covered all the points precisely as I
wanted to.

For the number of arguments, please note that there is no defined rule as
far as I know. It depends on the use case.

>From the Zen of python -
*"Explicit is better than implicit"*
*"Simple is better than complex"*

I think if a method/function needs a certain number of arguments, then it
does need them. It is better to be explicit about it and has as many as is
required but also try to stay away from getting complex if you can solve
the design at the backend and get rid of some the arguments, then better.

Moreover, the Qt framework is built around inheritance. It already provides
and encourages to override the methods by subclassing the widgets. You can
use the mixins to intercept the functionality if you want to override some
of the methods by multiple inheritances and the super magic.

Btw, here <http://bit.ly/rhsuper> is a super good talk from Raymond
Hettinger about super. A must watch as it clears up a lot of
misunderstandings about using super (which is my opinion is not usually
exploited its fullest potential)

Cheers!