Sorry I can't run your code right now and I'm not exactly sure what results
you're seeing.

If you're wondering why the non-uniform scale affects shear, it's because
shear is exactly that - non-uniform scale on an axis other than one of the
primary axes. Think about rotating a square 45° and then squashing it
vertically. It ends up being a rhombus.

If you're wondering why the shear causes the rotation to change, I'm not
exactly sure how Maya reports rotation on transforms that have shear. In
the imaginary square from my previous paragraph, the top and bottom edges
have rotated by some angle, but the other two edges have rotated by a
different angle (because the axes are not actually at right angles anymore,
even though they look like they are in the Maya viewport).

Does that help at all? If not, I can try to run the code tomorrow and see
if I can give a more specific explanation.