Some maya tools (or third-party tools) use heads up messages as a
convenient way to give the user some information. I can't remember off top
of my head what tools is using it in maya, but for the time being, you can
generate a custom one, and I'm sure that will look familiar!
inViewMessage -smg "test message" -pos topRight -bkc 0x00000000 -fade;
(MEL)
source:
https://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/Maya-Tech-Docs/Commands/inViewMessage.html
If your In-View messages are enabled, you'll be able to see the message.
Otherwise, it'll be ignored.
Now I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "a way to check/uncheck this
button". Can't you simply tick the box from the gui? If not, it might be a
graphical bug, and my next try would be to change it via script (I suppose
using optionVar)